Hong Kong’s wet markets are grappling with a health scare after an outbreak of a potentially dangerous bacterial infection in the city was linked to freshwater fish sold by some vendors.
Medical experts have urged the public to avoid eating raw seafood after 79 cases of invasive Group B Streptococcus bacteria infection were detected in patients at public hospitals between September and October.
On Thursday, Lee Choi-wah, chairman of the Hong Kong Chamber of Seafood Merchants, said he feared businesses would be hurt, and called for sellers and shoppers to take precautions when handling fish. Cases have been linked to grass carp, bighead carp and snakehead fish.
Group B Streptococcus is a bacteria commonly seen in the intestinal, urinary and reproductive tracts. It is usually not harmful and does not lead to any symptoms, but can cause infections in blood, bone, lungs or the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord.
Read more at the link in bio.
Charity In China report
Paypal account: email@example.com
Follow facebook page：Charity In China
Scan Alipay QR Code
Support Paypal To Donate
And we also accept the donation of Bitcoin.
Our Bitcoin address : 16ih3dGgfNf3TtrwgKzMnYbtixrQqEFk14
Scan QR Code
Thank you for your love